I have been trying (w/ use of the help screens) to do what I /thought/ would be a
simple
operation.

I have an image w/ some text in it.  I want to move *each* letter over by 2 pixels (to
accomodate an outline).  So here is what I do:

1. Select all
2. move image (good)
3. C+select to remove the first letter
4. move image (good)
5. notice that gimp "shrink wrapped" the selection to just the letters
   (leaving out the transparent areas)
6. C+select to remove the second letter
7. notice that ALL the letters disappear (but have marching ants on them)
8. notice that the letter I just (presumably) de-selected still has marching ants
shrink
warpped on it too
9. move the selection
10. notice that ALL the letters move, including the on I /tried/ to de-select

Doh!  I could anchor the selection and reselect the remaining text.  But I'd have to
do
that 30 -> 40 times (not!).  While extremely zoomed in (not!).  I do not understand
how
selection tools change from normal when a selection is active.  I also do not
understand
/why/ selection tools change from normal.

I tried several of the select tool buttons (e.g. subtract from current selection), but
to no avail.

For those of you still reading <g>, here is the big picture.  I have some text and a
background (American flags).  I captured both from my website.  I put both in layers.
made the text be "difference" (as I recall) and the flags be "normal".  Bam, a good
looking title with the font stroked in a flag motif.  The only problem is that the
font
has a lot of white pixels (you know, the stripes) on the edge of the letters and my
website uses a white background (not good).  So I tried to put some space in between
the
letters (hence my question) and manually outline the letters.

If there is a quicker way (say instead of the text tool filling w/solid colors, but
instead w/ a gif) then I'd appreciate the help.  If not, then am I just a moron gimp
user (probably yes).  But what is up w/ the selection tools when the selection is
active???