Alf C Stockton wrote:

2) Text tool in the new gimp does not give me the option to select fonts or
text size or colour. Again please tell me what I have missed?

I'm also running Gimp 2.0.4 on Slackware (Slack 8) and the new text tool DOES allow you to select fonts and text size and color.

Take a look at this screenshot:

http://gimp.org/screenshots/linux_screenshot2.png

Below the toolbox we're all used to, you'll see the settings for the text tool, since the text tool is selected in the toolbox. "Alternativ for Text" is the the "title" of this area in the screenshot.

The "Typsnitt" field in the screenshot is for choosing the desired font. In English, that would read "Font".

The "Storlek" field in the screenshot is for choosing the desired font size. In English, that would read "Size".

The "Farg" field in the screenshot is for choosing the desired font color. In English, that would read "Color".

And so on.... SO, when if you see the text tool settings tab/dialog appear similar to the screenshot above when you choose the text tool, then you should be able to do everything you want there. I've changed my Gimp installation to have the options tabs for the tools appear in the same dialog as the layers tab, which is in a separate dialog.

Peace...

Tom