On Wednesday 20 October 2004 16:44, Jonathan Bartlett wrote:
> > > I have been trying to write some scripts to automate tasks but
> > > find that I have some trouble using scheme.  Although I am
> > > experienced in other languages I find scheme quite difficult to
> > > master as I can't seem to find any language references.  There
> > > are lots of tutorials and samples showing how to create scripts
> > > but nothing that I could find that actually describes the
> > > language, functions available, etc.
>
> The big problem w/ Gimp's scheme is that they use a version that is
> not really respected by anyone and that's horribly out-of-date.  I
> think they did that in the spirit of keeping things simple, but
> it's horribly backfired.
>
> Scheme is one of the most ingenious languages around.  I'll be
> describing some of its more interesting features this coming year
> in several IBM DeveloperWorks articles.  Unfortunately, many of
> these features aren't available on GIMP's scheme.
>
> For learning scheme as a language, some good books are:
>
> Teach Yourself Scheme in Fixnum Days (available on the web
> somewhere) How to Design Programs
> Simply Scheme
>
> a more advanced introduction, which every serious programmer should
> read sometime in their life, is
>
> Structure and Interpretation of Computer Programs
>
> In addition, the scheme standard is only 50 pages, and is a pretty
> easy read.  You can get it online at schemers.org or a hardcopy
> from my website at http://www.cafepress.com/bartlettpublish.9174125

The GIMPÅ Scheme is in the proccess of beying updated by another
interpreter  - the Tiny-fu extension by Kevin is doing that.

I do notknow if that is an up to date implementation, however. All I
know is that it currently doesn't support multi-byte character
encodings - i.e. UTF-8, just like GIMP's native script-fu.