Gert Cuykens ([EMAIL PROTECTED]) wrote:
> who do i ask if they would like to change the word lightness into
> brightness from the gimp gui?

   "Brightness is the perceived intensity of light coming from the image
   itself, rather than any property of the portrayed scene. Brightness
   is sometimes defined as perceived luminance. (From Adelson, MIT)"

and

   "Lightness is the perceived reflectance of a surface. It represents
   the visual system's attempt to extract reflectance based on the
   luminances in the scene. (From Adelson, MIT)"

So your implied assumption that Brightness and Lightness are
exchangeable terms is simply wrong. You were quite unspecific where
you want to exchange these terms and I cannot determine if the usage of
"lightness" is correct or not. My guess is, that somebody put some
thought in the choice of words and I wouldn't change it unless someone
shows that the usage of "lightness" is wrong.

Bye,
       Simon

--
              [EMAIL PROTECTED]              http://simon.budig.de/