On Wed, Jan 12, 2005 at 09:27:25PM -0500, Mark D. Montgomery II wrote:

> > i think we are having some problems because i dont really understand how
> > gentoo works.
> >

> hehe.
> Basically, it uses a package tree system (similar to debian I believe).
> When you tell it to install a package, it downloads the source and
> specified patches from the gentoo archives and compiles the program.
> When the maintainers for the specified package in the tree (for instance
> gimp), deem a package to be properly stable on gentoo, they set it
> stable.
> Packages that are not quite deemed stable are masked, but you can easily
> tell the system to try to install it anyway.  This is what I did to go
> from 2.0.4 to 2.0.6.  A package that is in the tree, but not deemed
> stable enough to even try to install (probably very new or has not been
> tested yet or depends on something funny) will be hard masked (set to
> masked in a file).  To install these you need to unmask the package in
> the mask file and then tell it to install.

This seems rather arbitrary. Why is 2.0.4 considered more stable than
2.0.6? 2.0.6 is purely minor bugfixes over 2.0.4, so if anything, 2.0.6
should be considered more stable than 2.0.4. So this doesn't make any
sense.

> Gimp 2.2.0 is currently hard masked.
>
> As I dug around (and tried compiling gimp2 from the stock source), I
> discovered that gimp 2.2.x require freetype 2.1.7 or greater.
> The current stable version in gentoo is 2.1.5-r1.
> 2.1.7 is not in portage.
> 2.1.9 is masked in portage because of problems with it and Mozilla and
> Firefox being compiled with older versions.
> To install 2.1.9, you must first uninstall Mozilla and Firefox.
> For me, however, they would not recompile afterwards (I'll have to try
> again later and see if it was just a fluke).
>
> So the current state of gimp 2.2.x on gentoo seems to depend on the
> freetype/Mozilla issue.

Except there isn't an issue with freetype 2.1.9 and mozilla. Other
distros are working happily with this combination. Again, this doesn't
make any sense.

This didn't really clear anything up. It just looks like a bunch of
arbritrary rules not grounded in reality.

-Yosh