Hi,

Dana Sibera <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

> I'm having what seem to be performance issues with editing some images
> about 4000x2200 pixels (they're panoramas of multiple photos), and
> would like some advice on the best settings in GIMP for RAM use, or
> whether what I'm seeing is normal.
>
> I have 640MB in this machine, and GIMP is set to use a tile cache size
> of 400MB. By the look of GIMP's info in the window of the photo I'm
> editing, it's only taking 161MB once flattened, so I don't think RAM
> use is the problem, but could be wrong - I'm not familiar with exactly
> how GIMP best uses memory :).
>
> In any case, the specific problem I'm getting is while colour
> balancing of the final image, and each shift of the slider requires a
> bit over 20 seconds to complete the colour change over the image,
> which seems slower than it should be. It's just a little difficult to
> really get an idea how the before/after compare when it doesn't flick
> from one adjustment to another in time to see it 'real time'.

Color correcting the image affects all pixels, so such an operation
needs quite a bit of memory on the undo stack. So you might be filling
up the tile cache with undo steps here. Lowering the number of minimum
undo steps could help to improve this.

But then, the color correction tools in GIMP are definitely slower
than they would have to be and most probably the time it takes is just
the time that it takes.

Sven