Take a look at UFRaw by Udi Fuchs.
http://ufraw.sourceforge.net/
It is based on dcraw and rawphoto plugin for GIMP and works as GIMP plugin for opening of RAW images and as conversion program (under Windows). It produces nice images with no artifacts (at least I haven't see any ;) ). And the program is being developed quickly.

Antti Mäkelä wrote:

The "optimal" solution for me would be if I could get a (good) RAW-> JPEG 2000 converter. JPEG 2000 would have the EXIF strutcture intact, lossless mode, and it will (probably) also be supported everywhere. However, this cannot be done at the time because of patent and licensing issues slowing down the adoption (and the lack of RAW converters that I could trust). Maybe in 2010.