> Date: Sat, 2 Apr 2005 22:46:47 -0500 (EST)
> From: Jonathan D Gibbons <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> To: gimp-user@lists.xcf.berkeley.edu
> Subject: [Gimp-user] Re: GimpShop
>
> Now, what I think would be really wonderful along these lines would be a
> setup whereby The Gimp can be easily "skinned" to a rearranged UI like
> this.

That is a whole lot of maintainance work, way more than you might think.
I would hope optimistically that things could be adjusted to work well for
all kinds of users and I think it would be better to make efforts to
improve the defaults first (but developers will spend time on whatever
they are most interested in).

If it is possible to make these kinds of changes and enough people are
interested it will probably happen (like it just did) so it makes sense to
try and allow it (and do so in a way that can be maintained) rather than
telling people to fork if they do not like the user interface.

I think the point about finding menu items is worth considering but we
already deal with users in various langauges (and therefore different
lables for the same things) and I think this problem could be reduced if
the PDB Browser could be improved to allow users to search for things more
easily.

I have a custom version of PDB Browser that allows me to search by Name,
Summary ('cause "blurb" is too much common slang), Description and a bunch
of other fields too.  (I'm not sure if I ever asked for the built in
version to be improved, for some reason I have a feeling I might have.)

> That way, we can have a Gimp skin that is familiar to Photoshop users, a

Although it is not exactly the kind of skin you are talking about I would
like a GTK theme that had a nice triangular slider widget like in
Photoshop.  (I suggested such a change to the ClearLooks theme for Gnome
but I haven't checked it recently to see if the idea was accepted.)

Sincerely

Alan Horkan

Inkscape http://inkscape.org
Abiword http://www.abisource.com