Thanks to everyone who responded (both on and off the list).

As I suspected I needed to recompile the gimp.  However I also needed
to recompile glib, gtk, pango, atk, fontconfig, freetype, and libtiff.
The thread at
http://www.linuxquestions.org/questions/member.php?action=mailform&userid=179995
was very helpful and amit rao was extremely nice in providing personal help.

PKG_CONFIG_PATH=$PKG_CONFIG_PATH:/usr/local/lib/pkgconfig:/home/strycat/usr/lib/pkgconfig
LD_LIBRARY_PATH=/usr/local/lib:/home/strycat/usr/lib
PATH=$PATH:/home/strycat/usr/bin

All of the aforementioned packages needed to have the
--prefix=/home/strycat/usr added to the ./configure line.

I still have a few minor problems (couldn't find SGV or libgtkhtml)
but the main problem of no tiff support has been resolved.

After all of this, the GIMP 2.2 had better be the best program in the
whole world.

Thanks again to everyone who helped.

-Tom