Hi,

We're an organization promoting open source in Macau. We're considering
whether to organize some training courses on GIMP or not. Before that,
we'd like to evaluate how powerful GIMP is when compared to Photoshop.
We're not insisting that it must be as powerful as Photoshop. We just
need a clear idea on its power.

As I'm not a graphics guy, I've got a colleague to do some initial
evaluation. As my colleague has a strong photoshop background but is
just getting started with GIMP, I'd like to have the confirmation from
someone like you with strong GIMP experience. So, would you please
comment on my colleague's finding below? Thanks in advance!

Disadvantage of GIMP
- Text tool
-- Can't display Chinese in the "GIMP Text Editor"
-- Can't control indivitual text format in the same Text. (The format applies to
the whole text)
-- Compare to PhotoShop, creating text effect is difficult. Photoshop built in
text effects. GIMP can only use the filter or script-fu to create effect.
-- Compare to PhotoShop, text effect will still be apply even the Text is
changed. But you need to do everything again if you text need to be changed.
-- Can't display Chinese font in the font selection list.

- Layers control
-- Can't display Chinese in the Layer.
-- Compare to PhotoShop, managing the layers is not that easy. You can define
layers to groups in Photoshop. You can even target an action to a group. No
group idea in GIMP.