On Tue, Jun 28, 2005 at 10:46:12AM +0000, John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Tuesday 28 June 2005 10:13 am, John R. Culleton wrote:
> > On Tuesday 14 June 2005 08:42 pm, Carol Spears wrote:
> > > mr. culleton, i am going to respectfully ask the reason that after all
> > > of this time you are not running a cvs version of gimp?  you seem
> > > overdue for this.
> >
> > With other packages there is an overnight snapshot of the CVS,
> > bundled as tarball. Does such a facility exist for Gimp?  Where?
> >
> > > if you find pygtk and get python running on gimp, i would like to have
> > > your feedback about my silly little script writing attempts.
> >
> > Still struggling with pygtk. More later.
>
> Happy to report that they pygtk problem has bee ameliorated. I
> found pygtk-2.0 and installed it. Then after a little cut-and
> try I copied pygtk-2.0.pc to /usr/lib/pkgconfig. That bypassed
> the error messages.
>
> Why the pygtk make install didn't do this automatically I don't
> know.

if you installed the pygtk-dev package from your distribution, it would
have installed the .h files and also the .pc files into /usr/

it was explained to me to let the distribution handle the /usr/
directory and to use /usr/local/ for the software that you are building
for yourself.  this way of building software can become confused and
broken when you need the development parts of other software that you
installed yourself in /usr/local/ and make finds the distributions files
in /usr/

make will look there first.

your problems with make were different however.  there is a
little script available from the newer gimp web site that could have
handled this for you:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv
my personal copy of this sets the cvsroot for getting gimp from cvs as
well.  put the file anywhere and with the terminal you use to build gimp
with type "source gimpenv".  it creates a little build environment in
which all of the PATHS are set to look for software gimp might need that
can be found in /usr/local.  the build environment remains this way for
the whole instance of this terminal/console.  i typically use it on an
xterm.

it can be easily modified if you start to want to build other software
and have it install in other directories on your computer system such as
/opt or even ~/
i suggest that you stay with the traditional /usr/local until all this
new stuff makes sense to you.

after some experience with building software and seeing others try to
build it on different operating systems, this method will start to make
sense to you.  at least it did for me.

if you would like my personal version of gimpenv, i can fix it to work
with the annon server and send it to you.

i highly recommend using the cvsrc that was provided on the new gimp web
site as well:
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/cvsrc
it sets your cvs up fairly logically and also keeps away some weird sync
issues that the annonymous server can have.

carol