--- "Michael Schumacher" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

>You can do this, at least I don't get what your problems with this are.

Ok, then I stand corrected. I just thought that it didn't.

>Especially, I don't get why doing something on a layer - even temprarily
>hovering and anchoring a selection - should affect the whole image.
>Anchoring is just a click outside the floating selection, so it's not many

Well, the thing that tricked me into thinking so was that one had to
transform the "floating selection" into a "new layer". I thought of
the selection as just another layer, not a special one...

>additional steps. BTW, could you explain what each of the "image/pic/canvas"
>mean to you?

Afaiu, image=picture=canvas.

>It might be a good thing to describe the workflow you're used to, then we
>could try to translate it into GIMP terminology for you.

In a cad-program one works with completely separated elements (which can be
merged in one way or another). One can "group" these elements together by
using, for instance, layers (which is a loose kind of "grouping"). Of
course the layered elements can share attributes like colour, thickness and
others. These elements can be manipulated without affecting the others
(if you so choose). There is no real equivalent to making a "flat image"
(except maybe making a "dead" model).

Iiuc, you can work like this in gimp (sort of at least):
* All images has at least one layer (the "background" -
right?)
* You can put more layers on top each other and work with
them separately, you can also re-arrange them.
* The "floating selection" is a kind of layer, which requires
special handling.
* If you want to manipulate the "floating selection", like
I did, I have to transform it into a new layer by choosing
"layer/new layer", which to me is rather unintuitive (which
shouldn't be taken as a form of criticism - just that people
think differently). If I don't do this I get the "cropped"
images when I save it as a jpeg (or any other non-layered
format, or "flatten" the image), even though I adjust the
canvas to "fit the layer".

Is this about correct?

Best regards / Mit freundlichen Gruessen

Peter K