Sven Neumann wrote:

Hi,

Robin Bowes <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> writes:

I've got a pdf file that I need to convert to pcx to use as a fax template.

I've installed The GIMP, along with Ghostscript and I can create the
pcx file fine.

However, I'd like to reduce file size by reducing the colour depth to
2, i.e. black and white.

I can do this in MS Photo Editor by Choosing File|Properties and
selecting Image Type "Monochrome". This reduces the file size from
215KB to 99KB.

How can I do the same thing from The GIMP? I'm sure it must be
possible, but I'm just not looking in the right place!

No, it isn't currently possible. But it would be rather simple to add
some code to the PCX plug-in so that it stores a monochrome PCX file
in case that the image is in INDEXED mode and the palette only has two
entries. A couple of plug-ins already behave this way.
Sven,

Can you point me at the plug-ins that already do this so I can "borrow" the code for the pcx plugin?

Thanks,

R.

--
http://robinbowes.com