On 9/12/05, Akkana Peck <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Chris Spencer writes:
> > When I try to print any image (xcf, jpg, png, etc) of reasonable size
> > (4x3 inches) with the GIMP, my printer (HP Deskjet) prints out a single
> > page with:
> > %!PS-Adobe-3.0
> >               %%Creator: Print plug-in V4.2.7 - 15 Jul 2004 for
> >               GIMP/Gimp-Print
>
> That very often means that you haven't configured the printer type
> in the gimp-print dialog. It doesn't get your printer type from
> CUPS or whatever other spooler you might be running; it defaults
> to postscript, which for most inkjet printers results in printing
> out a lot of postscript source.

Yes, I remember this now.

> (I wish it defaulted to "No printer"
> or something, and perhaps popped up a dialog asking the user to
> set the printer type

Yet this will confuse users who have Inkjets that use printer systems
that only read Postscript (see below).

> ... if it ever gets straightened out which
> project owns the gimp-print dialog, perhaps I'll try adding that
> myself.)

Sounds like a good idea.  :P

> If you've already set gimp-print to the right printer type,
> then I'm out of ideas and maybe someone with an HP can help.
> What OS/distro are you running?

I have a HP Deskjet 722C and 842C both in my house.  They work fine
under CUPS/Debian (stable and testing/unstable).  Ironically, by
printing to CUPS, I have to send Postscript output to CUPS which then
uses another driver to convert Postscript to my printer's native
format.  So I don't see what the problem might be here, unless he's
directly using LPR or something w/o an intermediatary.

--
~Mike
 - Just my two cents