On Mon, Sep 12, 2005 at 06:03:49PM -0400, michael chang wrote:
> On 9/12/05, Juhana Sadeharju <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> > >From: "Michael J. Hammel" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> > >
> > >FWIW, I'm working on another GIMP book, tentatively titled The Artist's
> > >Guide to GIMP Effects.  It's essentially a followup to my first book,
> > >The Artist's Guide to the GIMP.  I think the publication date is early
> > >next year - publisher is No Starch Press.
> >
> > Could you all authors limit the copyright to a few years?
> > (Instead of having copyright term 80 years after you drop off.)
> > It should not make harm to the business.
> >
> > Well, the software was given free to you, give us something back.
>
> Is that legally possible without releasing it under e.g. Creative
> Commons from the first day?
It should be legally possible, because it's just a license thing (Of
course I'm aware of different copyright laws between the american
and the european copyright).

But in both worlds, it should be possible to release it under a creative
commons compatible license (have a look at some o'reilly published
books). If the author want to, he can release it under a public domain
compatible license. At least in europe, he'll keep the copyright of his
work until he dies.

Greetings,
--
Roman Joost