Am 30.11.2005 um 22:42 schrieb Warren Baird:

On 11/30/05, Axel Wernicke <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

@Warren: the slowdown in the gui is probably caused by Apples X11. That might be change in future with the hopefully upcoming native gtk+ for OS X.

It's not a GUI slowdown that I'm talking about --- it's ops like doing an unsharp mask..
ok, thats different of course.

I did some comparisons a while back between linux on an athlon 1800+ (1.5 ghz), and macosx on an 800mhz g4, and for an 8 megapixel image, linux was taking 18s to do the unsharp mask, and the mac was taking 75s --- much slower than the relative clock speeds.  For comparison, Photoshop takes about 5s to do the unsharp mask on the mac.
wow. I'm using a [EMAIL PROTECTED] myself (I like the iBook :), but didn't know that other platforms are performing that much better...

It does make it pretty painful to use.  I was actually contemplating buying photoshop - but I've been using the gimp for so long I don't want to switch
[x]

I was going to fire up a profiler and see what's happening - but the last time I tried I couldn't get the gimp to compile through fink...
may be I can help here, I'm running the most recent beta (2.3.5) from fink (kind of) I have a fink.info file that only needs to be stored in the right place and then a fink install gimp23 will do :). Just write me an email if you are interested. The file is not in the official fink distribution tough.

I assume that the code isn't using X to do the actual bitmap manipulations, so I doubt the native gtk+ implemenation will help me here.   It'll still be nice though... :-)
well, may be we can tackle that other performance issues too - I'd be _very_ interested in that by myself.

lexA

Warren

---

Live is like a chocolate box, you never know what you wanna get...

GPG Signatur auf http://wernicke-online.net/Impressum/ prüfen