Carol Spears wrote:

thank you for sticking with it.

I *require* "Add Glow" in the work that I do with The GIMP. I have no choice but to stick with it. :)

try editing this script to use /opt/gnome instead of /usr/local :
http://www.gimp.org/source/howtos/gimpenv

OK.

then type "source gimpenv" before "perl Makefile.PL"

OK.

That didn't really seem necessary. AFAICT, it simply added "/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig" to my $PKG_CONFIG_PATH, "/opt/gnome/bin" to my $PATH, and "opt/gnome/lib" to my $LD_LIBRARY_PATH - all of which already contained those paths as you can see below.

btw, you seem to have a handle on some *nix things that i don't.

Really?  Hmmm...  That makes me feel good, I guess. :)

I still fumble around when trying to use echo.

I really only use it whenever I want to see the contents of my $PATH variable.

it is one of the problems that happens when you get things working and they
work so well for so long.

again, thank you for your persistence.

You're welcome, I suppose.  Thanks for yours as well.

Honestly, though, I don't feel, though, that I'm doing anything out of the ordinary whenever I run into this kind of trouble with something on my system.

BTW, nothing improved. :)

Myke

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Downloads/TGZ/Gimp-2.0> source gimpenv
ACLOCAL_FLAGS set to -I /opt/gnome/share/aclocal
PKG_CONFIG_PATH set to /opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig:/opt/gnome/lib/pkgconfig
PATH set to /opt/gnome/bin:/usr/local/bin:/usr/bin:/usr/X11R6/bin:/bin:/usr/games:/opt/gnome/bin:/opt/kde3/bin
LD_LIBRARY_PATH set to /opt/gnome/lib:/opt/gnome/lib:
You can now build GIMP in /opt/gnome.

[EMAIL PROTECTED]:~/Downloads/TGZ/Gimp-2.0> perl Makefile.PL
checking for gimp-2.0... no
checking for gcc... cc
checking for suffix of executables...
checking whether cc accepts -g... yes
checking for cc option to accept ANSI C... none needed
checking for gimptool-2.0... /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool-2.0
checking for GIMP - version >= 2.0.0... no
*** Could not run GIMP test program, checking why...
*** The test program failed to compile or link. See the file config.log for the *** exact error that occured. This usually means GIMP was incorrectly installed *** or that you have moved GIMP since it was installed. In the latter case, you
*** may want to edit the gimptool-2.0 script: /opt/gnome/bin/gimptool-2.0
configure: error: ** unable to find gimp, make sure it's in your path (version 1.3.15+ required!)