Like Colin said, there are a lot of ways to do this, but I'm trying to learn more ways to do the same things.

If I understand correctly, deleting should leave transparency everywhere that was the background colour. Cropping would cut the whole image down to the size of the remaining selection - the logo. Is it about the same result as the other method or is there an advantage in some cases? I'm just firing up the Gimp to see what I see...