On Monday 25 September 2006 04:35 am, lode leroy wrote:
> hi...
>
> I was touching up some scans yesterday and cam accross something
> new that I didn't find
> how to do with gimp...
>
> I wanted to remove a small part of the image with a part from
> somewhere else,
> by coping a piece of background over it.
>
> so I want to draw a selection ( e.g. using the lasso ) and now I
> want to use that selection
> to cut a piece of background somewhere else... but I didn't find
> how to do that.
> (I ended up drawing the selection on the background more or less
> the shape I wanted,
> but it would have been easier to draw on the target of the
> copy/paste operation)
>
> anyone have suggestions on how to do this?

You want to use the  "clone tool" - teh one that looks like a stamp.

Pick it, hold control, and click on the portion of the image you want
to copy _from_, and procede to normal painting on the part of the
image you are copying _to_.

I prefere using it in the "aligned" mode (tool options).
You will find out that for better results you might want to pick a
soft brush, and possibly tweak of the opacity  settings, depending on
the nature of your background.

        JS
        -><-