Looking into different English-Russian dictionaries (the most
comprehensive ones) I can see the meaning of the word gimp, being
discussed here, as the 3-rd or 6-th in the order of usage frequency.
Others are (synonyms)
1. galloon, braid
2. spirit, vim
3. may be  limp, may be neckerchief
4. Scottish: slim, elegant

Gimping: clothing industry: cutting of tooth at detail cut

Gimpy: miserable, lame man

Gimper: American: excellent professional (about military person).

As any English word has so many meanings, it's hard to avoid some of
them. Not to be offensive, but even the word "queen" has one not so wide
spoken meaning. And what?

The ones, whose mother tongue is not English would not consider this at
all. As for inhabitants of English speaking countries - its their
peculiarity, what meaning would come in their mind when they hear the
word "Gimp".

--
With respect
Alexander Rabtchevich