I wholeheartedly agree.
It is an absurdity that some print drivers ship with separate .icc profiles.

I am not quite sure why the situation evolved, but I suspect that
professional users started to wish to have a way to calibrate their
output for their specific printer (even now, people who care about
color matching have their specific printer profiled).  As it was
difficult to modify the printer driver to accept the .icc profile, the
developers of sophisticated applications such as Photoshop started to
include support for such profiles.

So, it is a good point that in the gimp architecture, perhaps
gimp-print or gutenprint is the most logical place where to support
printer profiles.

Luca