Hi,

On Wed, 2007-01-31 at 18:13 -0500, John R. Culleton wrote:
> I unzipped and untarred the help files. I ran ./configure in that directory.
> When I ran "make" I got a slew of messages of the form:
>
> I/O error : Attempt to load network entity
> http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd
> ../src/appendix/bugs.xml:3: warning: failed to load external
> entity "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd";
>           "http://www.docbook.org/xml/4.3/docbookx.dtd";>

Your docbook xsl setup is incomplete or broken.

> It would be nice if the help files were integral to the Gimp distribution.
> Perhaps that is too simplistic. I have Slackware Linux 11.

Perhaps you should consider using a distribution then that packages the
help files for you. Building them from the source is definitely not
trivial and it is not something that a user should have to deal with.
That's why a reasonable Linux distribution does this for you.

Sven