On Sun, 2007-04-22 at 23:44 -0400, John R. Culleton wrote:
> On Sunday 22 April 2007 20:16, Renan Birck wrote:
> > Em Dom, 2007-04-22 às 20:03 -0400, John R. Culleton escreveu:
> > > 1. Will Gimp handle this RAW mode? If so what suffix should I use
> > > on the file?
> >
> > Not directly, but you can use tools like ufraw (which uses dcraw -
> > considered one of the best tools for RAW format decoding).
> >
> Ufraw seems to be a profiling tool
> I cannot find the sources for dcraw, only Mac and Wndoze binaries. I
> use Linux.
>
> Hints?

You need to give us a hint which OS/distro you are using. For example in
Ubuntu/Debian you would do something like:

# apt-get install ufraw (or dcraw, or rawstudio)

If you want source, try

http://ufraw.sourceforge.net or
http://cybercom.net/~dcoffin/dcraw/ or
http://rawstudio.org/

which I got from Google.

ufraw will manipulate raw images and save them as .ppm which GIMP will
then open.

dcraw pretty much does the same, but at the command line and is very
powerful, but is NOT an image manipulation program like GIMP

Rawstudio saves in .tif or .jpg

They are all designed to do basic manipulation for white balance,
exposure, contrast etc, but not full image manipulation.

Personally I use either dcraw or Rawstudio. I believe you can get import
modules for the GIMP too, but I don't use those.