On Monday 30 July 2007, Sven Neumann wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Mon, 2007-07-30 at 08:28 +0000, Heiko Schmidt wrote:
> > I had the same problem under Ubuntu but with the GTK+.
> >
> > After installing GTK+-2.10.13 from source I've got the same error
> > message that this modversion returns 2.10.13 but 2.10.11 was
> > found. Now what I have to do to get rid of the 2.10.11 version?
> > Where I can find this  LD_LIBRARY_PATH environment variable or
> > what I have to write in /etc/ld.so.conf?
>
> If you have to ask such questions, then you should better not
> compile any software from source. Stick with the packages that your
> distribution offers because you are likely going to screw things up
> badly. You have been warned.
>
> You can of course also go ahead and read the documentation that
> comes with your linker (man ld) and with pkg-config (man
> pkg-config). It would also be a good idea to read the GTK+ manual,
> in particular the chapters about building GTK+ and building GTK+
> applications
> (http://developer.gnome.org/doc/API/2.0/gtk/gtk-building.html). And
> last but not least the release notes for the GIMP development
> releases (http://gimp.org/release-notes/gimp-2.3.html).
>

> Sven

I would add that Ubuntu is user friendly only when you live within its
boundaries.  For serious work I prefer Slackware, even with the
absence of some Gnome libraries (and the Gnome gui itself of course
but that is no great loss. ) In the "Debian world" I would prefer to
either use Debian proper or else install Knoppix to  disk.

--
John Culleton
Able Indexing and Typesetting