Upcoming GIMP 2.4 has a special tool for doing it - foreground selection
tool. 2.4 can be tried now as GIMP 2.3.19.
Also you will have to correct the obtained selection with freehand
selection tool, maybe quick mask, intellect  scissors or other selection
tools.
Other way is to select it initially by color and often use other
selection tools  to add (with Shift) or subtract (with Ctrl)  some pieces.
Some tutorials:
http://gimpguru.org/Tutorials/ReplaceBackground/
http://gimpguru.org/Tutorials/ReplaceForeground/

--