On Fri, Aug 24, 2007 at 03:29:49PM -0400, Kevin Cozens wrote:
> Maverick Merritt wrote:
> > Does the GIMP support GEOTIFF files?  If not, are there any plans to do so?
>
> The answer to both questions is no. It is unlikely that the file format would
> be supported in GIMP unless there is a publically available document which
> describes the file format. If there is such a document, it just takes an
> interested party to create a plug-in for the format.

It has been almost ten years since I worked with GEOTIFF files, but IIRC
they are just TIFF files with a couple extra tags telling you where the
image is geospatially located.  That should mean that GIMP can open a
GEOTIFF fine, but there are no guarantees that it can keep the tags if you
then save it.  Note, I haven't checked this in a long long time, but it did
work then.

Jeff

"The man who does not read good books has no advantage over
 the man who cannot read them."
 -- Mark Twain