Rich wrote:

After installing 2.4.0-rc3, I was configuring the preferences, as I was trying out the settings,
 when I double clicked the 'Main Mouse Wheel' device under
 File/Preferences/Input Devices/Input Controllers, Gimp disappears and dies.

One more item - I thought about comparing the controllers in the controllerrc file.

There were two lines missing from the Main Mouse Wheel and Main Keyboard.
I added the stock-id and controller items and removed the other two controllers that were added. I started gimp, I can now select and edit them fine - the dialog works and no more crashing.

(GimpControllerInfo "Main Mouse Wheel"
   (stock-id "gimp-controller-wheel")
   (enabled yes)
   (debug-events no)