Simon,

Maybe you can post a page for us to see the original, unedited, then the
page where you see the resizing.  I use ImageMagick and others use other
programs to do auto-resizing (size, quality, etc) of uploaded images to
ensure that they fit within the space intended.

-Bob

Simon Roberts wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I created a headshot for a friend, but the website she's posted it on, which
> is essentially out of her control, does some automatic resizing. Actually,
> I'm not sure if the resizing occurs in the server, or on the client browser.
> Anyway, the original image has been offered at a variety of sizes, and every
> time it ends up looking granular and awful on the end user's browsers. The
> site admins don't know anything--they're just using a system that was written
> for them.
>
> I would provide a single small image resized to the final size, but I don't
> think that will work because a) I think the resizing is dynamic, and b) the
> user can click on the image to get a bigger (the unresized) image. I want the
> larger one to still exist and we'll lose that if we just go with a small
> image.
>
> Under these dreadfully sub-optimal conditions, what can I do, or what should
> I avoid doing, to try to ensure the resized image looks as good as it can?
>
> I should point out that other people's pictures all look better than my
> friend's. Not always great, to be sure, but clearly there's room to improve
> if I knew what to do.
>
> TIA,
> Simon

Bob Meetin
dotted i - Internet Strategies & Solutions
www.dottedi.biz
303-926-0167