Hi,

to shed some more light on the issue of how preview works with the GIMP
Print plug-in based on GTK+ Print, here's an excerpt from another mail
on this subject:

  We just hand-off printing (and previewing) to Gtk. Gtk then calls the
  appropriate pdf viewer. WHat is the "appropriate" previewer can be
  configured in .gtkrc-2.0 located in your home directory.
  The important entry is:

    gtk-print-preview-command="evince --unlink-tempfile --preview
                               --print-settings %s %f"

  the above line should work for most older versions of evince. Of
  course  you can also use other programs such as:

    gtk-print-preview-command="gv %f"

  or

   gtk-print-preview-command="xpdf -q %f"

  Note that evince is preferred since gtk creates temporary files and
  --unlink-tempfile tells evince to delete them. The other commands
  will keep those temporary pdf files around.

Note that this is only true for printing on Linux and other UNIX
platforms. Your desktop may also override the settings in
your .gtkrc-2.0.

On Win32 things work differently. As far as I understand the default
viewer for metafiles is used for the preview. By default this seems to
be the "Windows Picture and Fax Viewer".

Sven