rob wrote:
> Whats the best way to learn script-fu?
[snip]
> if anyone can recomend something specific
> that they thought was the best way to get started with batch image
> processing with gimp.

You should become familiar with the Scheme language. To do that, get a copy of
the R5RS (http://www.schemers.org/Documents/Standards/R5RS/r5rs.pdf) and read
it. Just be aware that not everything mentioned in the R5RS is implemented in
the Scheme interpreter of Script-Fu. Items like define-syntax, or bignums are
examples of items not currently supported. Also, look at the scripts which are
shipped with GIMP.

I think one of the problems people have when learning Scheme is that a lot of
scripts are shown with many closing ) symbols at the end of a line. While you
are getting comfortable with Scheme I would suggest you don't skimp on the
whitespace. Put the closing parentheses on separate lines. If may violate some
Scheme based coding style guides but makes it much easier to see the syntax of
the language.

There are tutorials on the GIMP web site at http://www.gimp.org/tutorials/
under "Script Authoring". I also have some notes about Script-Fu in the wiki
section of my web site at
http://www.ve3syb.ca/wiki/doku.php?id=software:sf:start

Be careful of any Script-Fu tutorial which was written before the release of
the 2.4 version of GIMP. It may contain information that is out-of-date or
even wrong as GIMP has moved to a different Scheme interpreter.

--
Cheers!

Kevin.