Yeah, GIMP doesn't really have all of the strong slicing features that other
programs have, but I suspect that they will begin moving away from slicing
paradigms as the default because CSS is more widely and fully supported. For
example, rather than slicing your background image, you can place it in
different positions in a div using CSS. This is much cleaner and has better
support because divs were made for web layout and tables were not. GIMP is
not only the best open source tool on the market for imaging, but also the
most versatile, and if it doesn't have something that you want, then the
nice thing is that you can program it, but for what you want to do, I don't
think it is worth the effort to program the plugins, simply because tables
are not the layout standard for the web anymore. That's just my opinion of
course.

Nathan