"Drawing SW" may be a confusing word it may evoke natural media emulation but
is generally used to indicate vectorial SW

And for drawing, filling editing shapes a vectorial sw may be the best...best
know commercial SW is Adobe Illustrator, Open Source alternative is INkscape
(also for windows)

Instead if you want program to emulate natural media painting
Corel Painter is the leader product quite pricey but you may try for free.

There is a far i know not very good free or open source alternatives, best is
Krita...

Again for brushing-painting ,for windows there is ARTrage( but the freeware
version is quite limited, )
Artwawe is free and PD pro is commercial has several cool features

Anyway in my opinion none of this may compete with Corel Painter ...maybe Krita
in a future but not at this moment

But again i suppose you need more something as Inkscape
then a paint emulation

I need a "drawing" program, but I am unfamiliar with the other tools
that are out there. The next time I boot into Linux I'll probably try
Krita, are there any other good drawing applications you can
recommend?

Thanks,
Jason

[...]

But again there are several script and plugin that may help to draw shapes i
don't think is needed change sw only to draw box sphere or simple shapes.

there are several script and plugin that may help

most was already quoted other shapes scripts are  in the FX-Foundry pack

Alchemie Foto\grafiche