I'm still not able to get this to work.  Attached is my script (or find it at
http://pubpages.unh.edu/~jmb97/SDL/NFont/render-nfont.scm).  It produces a
bitmap of the characters in a font.  I thought the whole first byte was
identical between ASCII and UTF-8...  Anyhow, maybe someone can get it to work
or see what I'm trying to do.  Basically, I'm just trying to put the special
and accented characters (161, '¡' to 255, ÿ) into a string, but the Gimp isn't
outputting anything where they should be.  The script appears as NFont->Create
NFont.  Then you must check the extended ASCII box.  I tried using Emacs, but
changing the encoding didn't affect anything.

Thanks,
Jonny D