After a system reinstall (HDD change) on my HP nc8230 notebook, GIMP
was starting painfully slow, almost bloking itself at Fonts-something
startup splash screen. This was something new for me, as in the
previous WinXP system install GIMP started almost immediately.

Searching a bit I noticed that this happens to be a common issue on many
Windows systems, where some have mentioned something about GTK+.
This pointed me to the question - what was different in my previous
system install related to GTK+ ? Answer - two more GTK+ applications
(except for Sylpheed, which does not matter for the subject), Pidgin and
GPA. So I installed Pidgin (2.4.2), et voilà, GIMP now starts
immediately !

So who knows, maybe this info can be of some help for others too ...
(and perhaps for GIMP developers too :)

Cristi

--
Cristian Secară