Hi Ellen,
You can select 'cm' as the unit in the grid configuration dialog.
whether this does exactly the right thing is something you'll have to
check yourself.
(personally, I would look at the pixel width and height, and divide
them by 3. I'm not used to working in cm.)

The grid configuration dialog is found in the Image menu
(Image->Configure Grid).