I found that problem.

The Latest version of the Avant Window Manager (installed from the "deb
http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu hardy main" repo) BREAKS gimp
2.4.5 in Hardy Heron 8.04.1.

You can easily verify that this is the problem.
1. Boot off the Hardy Heron 8.04.1 Live CD.

2. Add the repos:
deb http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu hardy main

deb-src http://ppa.launchpad.net/reacocard-awn/ubuntu hardy main( See
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363 )

3. sudo apt-get update
4. sudo apt-get install avant-window-navigator-bzr awn-core-applets-bzr
awn-manager-bzr
5. Try to run gimp. It will not run. If you run gimp from the terminal, you
will see the following error:
symbol lookup error: undefined symbol: gimp_micro_version
Now try to get gimp to run again. I can't!I tried to COMPLETELY uninstall the
following:
awn (using the instructions on the
http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=762363)

gimp

gimp-data

libgimp.
I even manually deleted the .gimp-2.4/ folder in my home directory.
Then deleted the AWN third party rep sources and reinstalled gimp. I
still see the error.
This bug is VERY annoying.  I would really like to get gimp running again.
Any Ideas?Rob