As another poster mentioned, an image pipe brush might do what you want.  The
trick is, to get the brush to "follow" the path and rotate appropriately.

This is doable, but due to the limitations of the number of images you can have
in a pipe, the available increment of rotation may not be enough for your
purposes.

Nevertheless, below is a link to a tutorial I wrote sometime back on how to
make such "rotating" image pipe brushes using GAP.  You might try it ad see if
it gives you what you are after.

http://www.gimptalk.com/forum/topic/Making-gih-Gimp-Image-Hose-Brushes-in-GAP-21594-1.html