Hi Sven,

I did read all the notes, links and all the instructions available, but none gave a hint as to what was actually discovered by accident. When Gimp opens up the first time, the tool menu covers the entire screen. Since the tool menu always stays on top, nothing you do is visible and the File, etc. menu and images are hidden from view. I assumed that by dragging the visible screen smaller that the entire application was drug smaller, but it's not the case. When the tools menu is drug to the proper size, all is visible including the images.

Maybe this is a simple thing which should have been obvious, but I would not have expected that the tools menu could be drug to full screen size.

At any rate, all is now well.  Thanks for hanging in there with me.

Stu

At 07:57 AM 10/23/2008 +0200, Sven Neumann wrote:
Hi,

On Wed, 2008-10-22 at 18:10 -0400, Stuart Culp wrote:

> I hate to sound dense, but if there is no File-open function, how do
> you get an image onto the page to start with?  I tried dragging and
> dropping but that didn't work.

It would help a lot if you would also follow the link that I gave you
and read the release notes. When you start GIMP 2.6 there should be an
empty image window. This window has a menubar where you will find the
File menu.

Sven