The layer you get get when you paste is only temporary, and
automatically anchors as soon as you do something layer-related.  If
you want a pasted image segment to become a new permanent layer,
select Layer->New Layer while there's a floating selection.

Note that the new layer will still only be as big as the selection you
converted.

And this behavior is hinted at in various places in the manual (with
text like "convert the floating layer to a permanent layer"), but the
only place I've seen actual instructions on how to do it is in the
glossary entry for floating selection:

http://www.linuxtopia.org/online_books/graphics_tools/gimp_user_manual/en/glossary.html#glossary-floatingselection

Mark J. Reed <markjr...@gmail.com>