On Sun, Jan 18, 2009 at 11:24 AM, Kevin Cozens <ke...@ve3syb.ca> wrote:
> If CentOS 6 is only planning on making GIMP 2.4 available you will still have
> an old version of GIMP.

Gimp 2.6 is less than a year old and still somewhat buggy.  I can see
people trying to maintain a stable platform not wanting to jump to it
yet.  Especially for a desktop app in what is primarily a server
distro.   Also, CentOS is designed to track Red Hat, so it's probably
the RH folks making the call.

> You should ask them to include a current release of
> GIMP. If they don't want to do that, it might be worth changing to distro that
> provides more current versions of software.

Perhaps, but reinstalling Linux is a lot scarier than upgrading a few
packages or even upgrading to a new version of the same distro.

If you're trying to do programmed image manipulation from a web app,
the Gimp might not be the best choice.  Have you considered
alternatives?  Perhaps ImageMagick?