Nathan Lane wrote:
> I just tried out what Claus suggested on this picture of Dennis Ritchie
> (attached).
>
> 1. Image > Mode > Grayscale
> 2. Colors > Brightness-Contrast (Brightness=127, Contrast=35)
> 3. Image > Mode > Indexed (Generate optimum pallette, Maximum number of
> colors=2)
> 4. Opened up the Colormap tab on the Layers, Channels,... toolbox
> (color0=000000, color1=ffffff)
>
> and I ended up with the other attached image that almost looks like the
> Linus Torvalds image you attached.

I tried this myself and came up with something similar,
but the dithering in the Linus Torvalds image is
much subtler. My guess is that this was achieved
by using a plug-in (Photoshop?). I couldn't find
anything similar (at least during a quick search)
on the Gimp plug-ins site, at http://registry.gimp.org/.
Maybe someone else can find anything.

Greetings,

Claus

--
Claus Cyrny : Webdesign |  Grafik | Fotografie
:: Web: http://home.arcor.de/ccyrny/ ::.