And I haven't even opened it yet!

I recently went to open GIMP, and right when I thought GIMP had finished
initializing, I got a dialog box that said GIMP needed to close.  I was never
able to open GIMP after that.

So I uninstalled GIMP and used Search to clean out all of the stray bits left
scattered around.  I then downloaded a new copy of GIMP 2.6.5.  But this new
copy is doing exactly the same thing.

I'm honestly not even sure how to go about fixing this one.  This sounds to
me like I might have a problem on my end--if only because this problem doesn't
seem to be happening to anybody else out there.  But I don't know where to
start looking for the problem if it's on my end.  I've not added any new
software since the last time I was able to use GIMP.

I would greatly appreciate any advice here, even if it's only of a general
nature telling me how I should approach this problem.

Thanks a lot.

--
aether