> So if/when I upgrade GIMP to some future 2.6 release, those
> scripts and plugins
> will be found just as they are now with 2.6.4?

depend on how you added them

basically there 1 most dumb but easy way , easier  mostly on Windows, that is
dump new scripts to be installed just in the script folder in C:Program
Files/Gimp/share..../script.
That seems more easy,but is also the most dumb :
in this case scripts will be deleted when upgrading gimp

Then there is 2 other smarter 2 way,
1 ) collect script in new folders, link from preference

 or

2) drop new scripts in your PERSONAL  script folder, that ,in windows XP gimp
offer you in C: Document and Settings/gimp/ script.
(for VISTA almost the same C :Users/.gimp/ script )

Both of those 2 "smarter " methods preserve add on script when upgrading, the
dumbest not.(also for that is the dumbest)