Jernej Simon i (jernej.listso...@ena.si) wrote (in part)  (on
2009-03-29 at 17:56):
 On Sun, 29 Mar 2009 22:50:01 +0200 (CEST), Carusoswi wrote:

 > > I thought I had previously installed that plugin, and I just now
 unzipped the
 > > downloaded file and placed the contents, plubishr and a folder
 named libpub
 > > that contains six more python files and three folders.  Pasting
 that folder
 > > doesn't feel right to me, but, there must be a reason the zip
 file is packaged
 > > the way it is (six files, then more files and folders inside the
 libpub
 > > folder.

 You should unzip the archive either to
 C:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins, or to the folder
 .gimp-2.6\plug-ins in your user profile folder (on XP and 2000 that is
 C:\Documents and Settings\<username>, on Vista it's
 c:\Users\<username>).
 The "Publish to web" item should then appear in the File menu.

 Also, don't forget to reinstall GIMP after installing Python, because
 the
 GIMP Python components aren't installed unless Python is present on
 the
 system.

This is a related GIMP 2.6.6 Python problem ... (using WinXP SP3)
I had GIMP 2.6.6 installed and working with Python 2.5. I ran into a problem with a Python script by Chris Mohler posted here a couple of days ago. Count tiles for a mosaic - http://registry.gimp.org/node/15080

the command pdb.gimp_message() eg. pdb.gimp_message(u"foo") shows its output in either the separate GIMP-output window if GIMP started with parameter -c or the internal Error console instead of in the expected dialog box.

At Chris' suggestion I checked version of Python I had. Mine was Python 2.5 and checking http://gimp-win.sourceforge.net/faq.html#py found that GIMP 2.6 is now available as are new versions of the three sub-packages PyCairo <http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pycairo/1.4/>, PyGObject <http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygobject/2.14/> and PyGTK <http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.12/>. These three have new versions for Python 2.6 released Jan 12, 2009

So I installed Python 2.6.6, then the three sub-packages. At first Gimp python-console was working as before (though pdb.gimp_message() continued not to display the expected dialog box). Then I noticed / remembered that GIMP has to be reinstalled after installing the Python "stuff" so I did that.

Now I'm getting error message in Error Console as soon as I try to open python console Filters - Python-Fu - console:
===  GIMP Error
Plug-in crashed: "python-console.py"
(D:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\GIMP2.6.4\lib\gimp\2.0\plug-ins\python-console.py)

The dying plug-in may have messed up GIMP's internal state. You may want to save your images and restart GIMP to be on the safe side.
============
Note I tested with previously installed GIMP 2.6.5 & 2.7.0 - Python-Fu still works with them (presumably still using Python 2.5) install.

Note: in an attempt to correct this, I reinstalled GIMP 2.6.6 again but unchecked the python support option. It warned that python files would not be removed, requested reboot and after reboot GIMP 2.6.6 still shows Filters - Python-Fu entry. Selecting it gives error in console above. Re-installing GIMP 2.6.6 and turning Python option on again does not request reboot and attempt to run Python-Fu console still gives above error.

I haven't (yet) tried uninstalling Python 2.6

OOOOPS: just before sending I noticed that the error message above is referring to GIMP2.6.4 not GIMP2.6.6 ?
I've got four installs of GIMP 2.6 in:
D:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\GIMP-2.7
D:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\GIMP2.6.3
D:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\GIMP2.6.4
D:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\GIMP2.6.5
D:\Program Files\GIMP-2.0\GIMP2.6.6

I checked Help-About in all four, each shows the expected version and all except GIMP2.6.6 show in the Python-Fu console the correct GIMP version and Python 2.5.2( except for GIMP 2.6.6 which gives the error message instead of displaying the Python Console): eg:
====
GIMP 2.6.5 Python Console
Python 2.5.2 (r252:60911, Feb 21 2008, 13:11:45) [MSC v.1310 32 bit (Intel)]
====

Any suggestions as to how GIMP 2.6.6 is getting to the wrong python-console.py?

<http://ftp.gnome.org/pub/GNOME/binaries/win32/pygtk/2.12/>

--
Regards ... Alec   (bura...@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burg...@skype)