On Wednesday 01 April 2009, Marco Ciampa wrote:

>> >You haven't used Linux recently (or ever), did you? Modern Linux uses
>> > CUPS printing system (that stands for Common Unix Printing System) that
>> > is the very same system Apple OSX uses nowadays, but the Linux
>> >counterpart is even richer of drivers and supports...
>> >
>> >Never say one thing before having tested it thoroughly.
>>
>> I use Gimp in both Windows XP and Linux (Ubuntu 8.10).  Since I have yet
>> to find a cups driver for my Canon i960, I purchased TurboPrint, and,
>> thankfully, it allows full function of my printer under Ubuntu.
>
>So actually you state that Linux has better print support that anything else
>
>:-)

Which is nice I guess, but it sure points out that the OP has become used to
the poor performance and limited options of gimp normal printing regime.  The
last time I tried turboprint, admittedly 3 or 4 years ago, its color
performance left much to be desired, an artifact of it soaking the paper clear
through probably.  The kindest I could be to turboprint would be to call it
fugly.

Gimp-print was an improvement, but not until gutenprint was up to 5.02 could I
make a print on good color paper that I could actually feel comfortable
selling to the public. And I have done exactly so several times since then.

If the right gutenprint plugin is installed, you will have 2 print options in
the menu, "print" and "print with gutenprint".

Using Epson printers also helps although I do not know if the equ of my old 4
color C82 can be had today.  I also have a 6 color C88, but it tears up paper
with poor handling and has from out of the box. At about 1 out of two pages
printed.  And that one good page, fed back to do double sided, is so badly
damaged it can't make a 2nd pass.  This C82 has wrinkled 2 or 3 sheets max, in
close to 80 reams of good quality paper I've fed it. To me that is phenomenal
all by itself.

>> In XP, however, Gimp will
>> not print photos forme, refusing to retain the page layout instructions I
>> specify (4.6 results in a 4 x 6 image on letter sized paper).
>
>probably is really a stupid hint but please, be kind: have you tried to
>insert  the image to print into an OpenOffice page? I found it the easiest
>way to handle the print page layout...

I have done that too because of the ability to resize that OOo gives us comes
in very handy.  And its color reproduction is equally flawless.

All this on linux of course. :)

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)