Saul:
You said
1. Drag your original layer over to the Channels Dialog and drop it, creating a new channel.
In your video, when you drag the image from the layer dock up to the channels dock your cursor has a '+' sign inside the
_
|+ ... when I do it I have no plus sign and when the channels dock opens and I drop the dragged item just disappears without raising a new channel.

I'm using 2.6.6 on Windows XP. I tried modifier keys Shift and Ctrl and Shift+Ctrl just in case but can't get the '+' sign to appear in the cursor and more importantly can't get the auto-creation of a new channel.

Is this a bug or is there something I'm missing?

saulgo...@flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com wrote:
Quoting paperaussie <paperaus...@gmx.net>:

Can any experienced Gimp users tell me how the process described in Ron
Bigelow's article can be reproduced in Gimp most efficiently?

http://www.ronbigelow.com/articles/contrast/contrast.htm

The following link is to a short screen capture of how that might be done in GIMP I use a similar technique quite often when adjusting highlights and shadows. There is no sound but the video should be easy to follow (I apologize for the jumpy pointer; my optical mouse died and I had to use a trackball).

http://flashingtwelve.brickfilms.com/GIMP/Temp/masking.ogv (OGG Theora 2.7Mb)

1. Drag your original layer over to the Channels Dialog and drop it, creating a new channel.
2. Hide the channel by clicking on its "eyeball" icon.
3. Return to the Layers Dialog.
4. Duplicate your original layer and increase its gamma using the Levels filter. 5. Add a layermask to the duplicate layer, initializing it to the inverted channel produced by Step 1.
6. Add a bit of Gaussian blur to the layermask (optional).
7. Adjust the opacity of the duplicate layer to obtain desired result.

Step 4 is not necessary if you already have an "overexposed" version of the original layer (created from a HDR RAW file), as was the case in the tutorial you linked to.

Regards ... Alec   (bura...@gmail & WinLiveMess - alec.m.burg...@skype)