Hello Ernie,

On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 1:06 PM, Ernie Wright <ern...@comcast.net> wrote:
> David Gowers wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Apr 27, 2009 at 9:41 AM, Noel Stoutenburg <mjol...@ticnet.com> wrote:
>>>
>>> on my system (WIN XP Home SP3; Gimp 2.6.6) when I enter the "Alt +"
>>> code for a special character, nothing happens, that is, the character
>>> does not appear, and the cursor does not advance.
>>
>> Yes, this has never worked for me either (not only in GIMP, though --
>> in almost every application)
>
> Note that in order for this to work, you need to (1) HOLD DOWN the Alt
> key while entering the character code, and (2) enter the 0 digit at the
> start of the code.
Thanks for clarifying that.
Actually, in order for it to work, you must do absolutely nothing.
Because it does not work, in any variation including the above. It may
work on Windows or MacOSX, I don't know; I only know what the
behaviour in Linux is (Ubuntu 8.04 specifically). Maybe it's an option
you can enable somewhere.

David