Hello!

On Monday 15 June 2009, powah wrote:
> I want to modify text on a jpg file
> I had read that I should select the text layer.
> What does it mean?

That means that there is no text layer. jpg files don't know about text, just
about pixels.  If you saved the image yourself as jpg, you should have
received a small warning box saying you'll lose all layer information in that
format.  If someone else gave you the jpg, complain to them :)

If you want to keep all (or nearly all) information about your layers, modes,
masks, selection and text, you should save the image as "xcf", that's GIMP's
own format.

I hope this isn't too bad news for you...
Daniel