>Since you do not have control over your networked copy of Gimp I
>suggest another route. As I recall the self loading Debian system
>called Knoppix contains a fairly recent copy of Gimp.  You download
>the cdr image, burn it on a disk and then whenever you need to use
>Gimp just pop in the disk and wait for it to load. You can still
>access and save files on your hard disk.  This bypasses the NFS
>facility entirely and gives you a more up to date copy of Gimp.
>
>If you can't burn an iso image on your system then you can buy a
>Knoppix disk mail order for about $10.

If you're on Windows you could also download and install gimp portable on an
USB flash drive. Maybe not possible to install it when using your computer but
you could do it using a friends computer. As long as GIMP portable ends up on
that USB stick. It's easier to just plug in a USB stick then having to reboot
with a Linux LiveCD and on a USB stick you can save your settings and store
brushes, scripts etc.

--
jolie  (via www.gimpusers.com)