>Oh, one more thing, how can I enter text the old way instead of using the on
>canvas option?  I've made this selection, but don't remember how I got there.

I believe the on-canvas text editing is the default for GIMP 2.7. If you prefer
"the old way" you can select "Use Editor" in the options of the Text tool. You
can also tell GIMP to "save tool options on exit" to make this the default for
you.

However, I cannot test this on my Windows installation, because each time I
click to put text GIMP crashes. But this is a development release, so I somehow
guess this is already fixed in a next release. I guess I should install GIMP
2.7 on Ubuntu (from Git) to see how this feature is supposed to work.